USBtinyISP is a simple open-source USB AVR programmer and SPI interface. It is low cost, easy to make, works great with avrdude, has both 6 and 10 pin standard ISP cables, is AVRStudio-compatible and tested under Windows and MacOS X.
Using this programmer and avrdude you can program any in-circuit "serial" programmable chip that avrdude supports (which is nearly all of them). It does not do JTAG or High Voltage programming. You can re-program Arduino's (and 'minimal Arduinos') using this programmer.
The project is based off of the USBtiny code & design.
- AVRdude compatible
- SB drivers available for Windows using libusb, no drivers needed for Mac OS X or Linux.
- High speed! Max clock rate is 400KHz. Write speed:1Kb/s, read speed: 2Kb/s. (Atmega8 takes 8s to write, 4s to read/verify)
- I/O is buffered to allow programming of 2V-6V targets
- Easily accessible jumper to power target project off of USB (target must be 5V tolerant)
- Open Source (The firmware code is distributed under the GPL, the hardware design layout files are CC 2.5 (BY - SA))